What is a denture?
Dentures are prosthetic devices that are made as a replacement for missing teeth. They are supported by the hard and soft tissues of oral cavity and can be removed by the Geelong patient when they are at home or before going to bed. They are made of safe and durable materials that make them long lasting and reliable to use.
What different types are available?
Dentures come in two different types: partial dentures and complete dentures. Complete dentures replace either all of your teeth or just the lower or upper teeth as well as providing support for the facial muscles. Partial dentures on the other hand are designed to fill in the gaps made by missing teeth and help to prevent the surrounding teeth from shifting.
Both of these types of dentures are removable but can vary in size and material. It is recommended that you consult your Belmont Dental Group dentist for advice on the most suitable treatment for you as there are other more permanent alternatives such as dental implants.
How is a denture made?
- The process begins with your dentist taking an impression of your mouth using a soft material which creates a mold of your existing teeth and gums.
- A temporary cast is created from the mold and when you return to your dentist, they will help to determine if the colour, shape and fit is comfortable for your mouth.
- Once you are satisfied with the look and feel of your new denture, the adjustments are sent back to the dental technician and a final denture is created. This process may take further appointments to ensure that the denture is as comfortable as possible.
What are the benefits of dentures?
- Patients find it easier to eat certain foods
- Enhancement in speech and the pronunciation of words
- More youthful appearance as the denture supports your facial muscles
- Having a beautiful smile will make you feel fantastic and give you a boost in confidence